May 7, 2009

FRUSTRATION!

This is the extent of my very first attempt at spinning.....
(the bit in front of the spindle is what I 'spun')


As you can see, it did not go well.

I haven't been that frustrated in a long time. I need a good rest before I pick that thing up again!

I read several tutorials, watched video tutorials, and still I just could not make it work.

I ordered this top whorl spindle from Green Bee Goods on Etsy (and it's lovely and I'm positive it is all me and my ineptitude!) and dug out some merino roving from my stash. I had grand dreams of spinning up all of the fibre samples I received in my Phat Fiber Box. But alas, it was not to be.

I will return to it. I am going to figure it out dammit! I just need to put some space between this utter failure and what I hope will be a great new hobby.

If anyone has any advice or can point me in the direction of some useful resources I would very much appreciate it!

Stumble Upon Toolbar Digg! Delicious

2 comments:

  1. Julia, I recently started spinning on a wheel and I'm also very intriuged by the drop spindle method.
    The absolute best thing you can do to improve your spinning is to join a local group! I took two private lessons and nearly decided give up out of frustration.
    But when you have access to a number of other spinners with so many different tips and techniques to share, you'll quickly find the technique that works for you. And the moral support is invaluable!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the tip Kathy! I'll see if I can find a group in my area.

    ReplyDelete