March 8, 2009

Colour Inspiration

I belong to the Around the Bay Knitters' Guild. We meet once a month, often just knitting as everyone takes a turn showing off a recent project. Once in a while we have a guest speaker and at our March meeting a few nights ago our special guest was Jane of Dye-Version and she talked to us about colour.

Jane dyes yarn in her home studio. She is also a costume designer for Big Comfy Couch and Polka Dot Shorts! She gave us great tips on where to look for inspiration for combining colours, such as coffee table books and magazine ads (as she put it, someone got paid a lot of money to put those colours together, take advantage of it!). She showed us a book she goes back to often, Butterfly by Thomas Marent, which is impossibly gorgeous. She also suggested that if we like colour combinations we see in magazines we should rip out and save the pages for future reference. I think I'll start doing that. I don't dye my own yarn but having a library of colour inspiration will come in handy when choosing multiple colours for anything from knitting projects to home decorating.

She brought lots of her beautiful dyed yarn to sell and I picked up two hanks of 100 % bamboo fingering weight in a blue multi although I have no idea what I'm going to do with it. Any suggestions?

I thought I’d have a look at some of my own photos for nice colour combinations, here are a few of my favourites:

I love the red and purple of this poppy from my garden.


The blue sky complements the various shades of orange in the forest canopy at Scanlon Creek Conservation Area.

The blue-green along the shore of Flowerpot Island turns to bright blue then pale blue sky.


I've just started Dulce de Leche from the new Twist Collective. Hopefully I'll have a decent amount to show soon!


Stumble Upon Toolbar Digg! Delicious

No comments:

Post a Comment