July 2, 2009

Dewdrop Handbag

I've been spending nearly every spare moment sewing. A fruit of my labour? This cute little handbag...



I love it! It was pretty easy to make and I got to use some of my Anna Maria Horner fat quarters.

I purchased the pattern from Keyka Lou on Etsy (she has many lovely patterns). I ordered it early in the morning on Saturday and the pattern PDF arrived in my inbox in 12 hours (guaranteed to arrive within 24 hours) so I was able to start cutting and prepping that night. I then spent much of Sunday on the bag and Voila!

My Dewdrop is the perfect size for dashing out to the store or for toting around a small knitting project.


For anyone considering making this bag, I thought it might be helpful if I provided a review. So here goes:

Dewdrop Handbag Pattern Review

Pattern: Dewdrop Handbag by Keyka Lou (PDF)

Pattern Rating: 4.5/5

Cost: $7 USD

Fabric: Good Folks by Anna Maria Horner

Yardage: The pattern called for two 1/2 yards (1 for exterior, 1 for lining), but I managed to use 2 fat quarters and just needed to use a third to cut the inside pocket (and I like the way it looks with the contrasting pocket!).

Skills: You do not need to know these before you start, the pattern will guide you through it
and by the end you'll have picked up some new techniques!

Using interfacing
Creating darts
Turning
Attaching a lining
Top stitching

Darts on bottom side of bag

Notes:

-I am a beginner and found I could easily handle all of the techniques needed to complete the project

-Keyka Lou provides a very detailed, clearly written pattern with photos to illustrate various steps. There were only a couple of very minor instances where I wasn't exactly sure what I was supposed to do (and this is because I am a newbie) but I was able to figure it out quickly and whatever I did seemed to work. For example, the pattern step was to 'Clip curves' so I just made about 4 clips with my scissors spaced evenly around the curve from the outer edge of the fabric to the line of stitching (without cutting my stitches!). The e-mail I received with the PDF pattern invited me to contact Keyka Lou if I had any questions about the pattern so I could have done that, but once I get started I just can't stop so I winged it!

-Although you could use fusible interfacing, I chose to use sew-in as Keyka Lou suggests in her great tutorial on interfacing.

Modifications:

-None, the only thing I did differently was, after turning the pocket fabric right side out through the opening, instead of slip stitching it closed I put that end of the pocket at the bottom when placing the pocket in the bag and edge stitched the sides and bottom of the pocket in place as the pattern called for. This closed the opening and I avoided hand stitching (which I try to avoid whenever possible!).

Stumble Upon Toolbar Digg! Delicious

4 comments:

  1. AMAZING! I think it is fabulous. I love the colours, too. I can see how handy and light this would be for popping out to shop or for carrying knitting projects.
    Shelagh

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my goodness what a perfect little bag! I love how you've combined your fabrics--- and a lovely use for fat quarters, too ;)
    That pretty photo with your knitting inside--- makes me want to snatch your bag and make a run for it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just bought this pattern and already have 3 cut out to sew tomorrow!!! It is so cute.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I want to make this bag, but I can't find the pattern anywhere!

    debz43@comcast.net

    ReplyDelete